The Placement YearFor each student on the Tonmeister programme the third year of registration is normally a Professional Training Year (PTY), during which they will be working for an employer in the audio industry. The PTY scheme has advantages for employers and for students...
For EmployersThis leaflet explains the gist of the placement scheme, gives some examples of how it might help you as an employer, and mentions a few of the other employers who use it: TonmeisterPlacements.pdf
Employers who have registered their intention to offer a placement this year can view shortlists of candidates plus CVs on our Members Only Website.For further information please contact the Tonmeister Senior Professional Training Tutor Caroline Haigh
For StudentsThe placement year forms an important part of your education and aims to develop your professional, practical, interpersonal, organisational, and creative &/or technical skills, and to allow you to apply some of the theory that you have learned in the first two years of the programme. Full placement scheme details for current students are available in the programme handbooks and module descriptions but, as a taster, here's what some of the students on placement in 2016/17 thought were the 5 'coolest' (i.e. most useful, interesting, remarkable, exciting, impressive, enjoyable, etc.) things about their placements...
Callum Marinho : Monnow Valley Studio : Assistant Engineer
- Jammed with artists such as LTNT, Callum Beattie and Marmozets.
- Won a pub quiz alongside Ken Nelson.
- Worked with producers such as Andrew Scheps and Paul Stacey, learning their skills and techniques.
- Played drums and piano on two High Contrast tracks.
- Was on the guest list for Pixies, Marmozets and Busted.
Cameron Masters : Modern World Studios and ATC Loudspeakers : Assistant Engineer and Elecronic Engineer
- Met and worked with some famous faces
- Credited for writing, performing and recording
- Built Loudspeakers for top recording studios and high-profile customers
- Engineered my own recording sessions
- Watched a UK no. 1 album being mixed
Chris Wright : MQA : R&D Placement Student
- Opportunity to learn programming and coding skills.
- High level of control over choosing what tasks and projects to take on.
- Access to stupendously expensive audio hardware.
- Surrounded by enthusiastic and skilled colleagues from many areas including software engineering, mixing and mastering, and licencing.
- Well stocked supply of ice-cream (and sometimes Pimms) for occasional bean-bag/hammock breaks in the afternoon.
Claudia Koh : Guildhall School of Music and Drama : Audio Visual Intern
- Worked with many musicians in numerous recording sessions (average one per day).
- Learned how to write camera script and direct live video mixes with LSO technicians in Barbican Hall.
- Assisted Bruno Ellingham and Alexis Taylor in a famous band Messengers recording session in Milton Court.
- Good location, with Barbican Hall right next to the school.
- Unlimited use of recording studio during down time.
Craig Henry : ROLI : Junior Research Engineer
- Contributed to the development of new products
- Carried out meaningful research projects
- Assembled and developed new prototypes
- Learnt to program
- Enjoyed the vibrant company culture
Emma Marks : Sky : Audio Post Assistant
- Recorded high profile VO artists such as Martin Tyler, Jon Rand and Peter Dickson.
- Acted as Dubbing Mixer for short dock-style film.
- Learned a previously unfamiliar system (Fairlight) to a level that I can record, edit and mix a range of projects.
- Received dedicated training on Pro Tools, Fairlight and Avid.
- Mixed parts of shows for Sky Arts.
Graham Keith : Charcoalblue : Junior Consultant
- Learnt a lot of new skills in areas not learnt on the course
- Went for a meeting with Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber at his house
- Went on a trip to Valencia for a Yamaha conference for 3 days with free food and beers
- Almost got to go to New York
- Made some VR models that I was proud of
Ivan Cheng : Daryl Griffith : Production Assistant
- Worked closely with Daryl on his compositions and orchestrations
- Part of the Orchestrating team for a Bollywood film and got credited on IMDB
- Developed a passion for Video/Film
- Flew to Budapest twice to do orchestral recordings
- Improved Pro Tools skills by editing almost on a daily basis
Jack Bowden : Hann Tucker Associates : Acoustic Consultant
- Was straight out doing fee-earning work
- Worked in the natural history museum, Wimbledon centre court and Hugo Boss HQ
- The staff there were friendly and we had a lot of socials
- Lots of pub lunches
- Learnt a lot about acoustics
Jack Fairbrother : Abbey Road Studios : Studio Runner
- Worked on recording the score for Kingsman 2, and helped setup the score recording sessions for many of last year's big Hollywood films.
- Worked on Ed Sheeran's latest album, Divide!
- Went go-karting with the Abbey Road team! We also played 'foot-golf'!
- Gained A LOT more knowledge of recording, microphones, outboard, etc!
- Helped the BBC Concert Orchestra to record for their concerts - and I cheekily mic'd them up using Abbey Road's amazing collection!
Jamie Philokyprou : Tileyard : Technical Assistant
- Helped build a professional studio.
- Got to be an extra in a BBC drama.
- Helped with arranging music for commercial sessions.
- Assisted some composers in preparing pro tools sessions.
- Cut a rare archived jazz performance to vinyl
Jess Camilleri : Spitfire Audio : Production-Assistant
- Produced several weeks' worth of sessions at AIR Studios
- Played MarioKart, ate free food and drank free beer
- Went to LA and visited Venice Beach
- Recorded through a Marconi AXBT microphone
- Met and worked with some of my favourite composers
Josh Alberts : Ableton : Production Assistant
- Had lots of fun experiencing the dense culture and elevated nightlife in Berlin
- Gained valuable knowledge and skills in video and events production, brand marketing and table football
- Gained some more knowledge in Ableton Live and electronic music production
- Met lots of great people and made new friends
- Was given the chance to progress in to different roles within the company
Lucy Hicks : Bang & Olufsen : Research Intern
- Lived and worked in Denmark for a year.
- Wrote a paper for publication as first author.
- Got to see and listen to unreleased products.
- Got to visit lots of places in Denmark and learned loads about the culture.
- Designed Max patches for listening tests that will be used by future interns.
Luke Knott : RCM Studios : Trainee Recording Engineer
- Mixed a live broadcast of a full orchestra concert
- Large variety of work including live sound, video editing and studio sessions
- Developed a new network of musicians to work with in future
- A year of music education through regular concerts, master classes, and environment
- Working in a small team meant taking the lead on a lot of projects
Marc McCouig : Angel Studios : Runner
- Learnt lots of recording and mixing techniques from some great engineers.
- I was in the control room while the Star Wars theme was played.
- Worked with high profile clients
- Assisted on an orchestral session for the TV series The Halcyon.
- Introduced recycling to Angel!
Matthew Cooke : Catherine Songs : Assistant/Engineer
- Recorded famous artists at the top of their game
- Learned and became familiar with legendary vintage recording gear
- Improved my critical listening and mixing skills
- Worked on a wide range of musical genres
- Helped to build and design a new studio
Matt Griffin: Woodleyside IT : Audio Technician
- Identified and improved core test procedures for the company.
- Helped to evaluate and improve products yet to be released on the market.
- Went into London to assist recordings with Tony Faulkner.
- Had hands on experience with plenty on technology allowing me to make decisions about what I wanted to buy.
- Made fantastic contacts at the top of their respective industries at the listening panels I was running.
Michael Gerrard : Floating Earth : Assistant (Broadcast) Engineer
- Worked on international live broadcasts and shows going out to millions on TV
- Recorded world-renowned orchestras and musicians
- Traveled all around the UK and Europe for work
- Met loads of amazing people and crews and made some great contacts
- Edited and mastered over 40 albums for various record labels
Neil Dawes : Guildhall School of Music and Drama : Audio-Visual Intern
- Assisted the engineer who remixed and works with Massive Attack
- Learned from the engineers who work with the LSO how to direct and orchestra concert
- Worked with some amazing musicians who are now contacts for future recordings
- Got to run a whole studio session every day single handed
- Worked alongside some current and some potential future famous faces
Oli Middleton : Real World Studios : Studio Assistant
- Got to spend basically every day in the studio
- Engineered an album for a local folk band
- Met &smp; worked with high-profile artists & some of my musical heros
- Received credits on a number of records
- Part of the production team at WOMAD festival 2016 & 2017
Olly Seber : Focusrite : R&D
- Learned how to solder almost anything.
- Designed and manufactured my first PCB.
- Wrote my first standalone software application.
- Played with lots of exciting music gear.
- Learned from and met a lot of interesting and clever people.
Ru Lemer : The Clubhouse : Assistant Engineer
- Assisted a wide range of engineers and producers
- Played keyboards/composed for a lot of records and TV cues
- Was living in the studio and sleeping next to the EMT plate, so had some very surreal dreams
- Managed a veritable battle-squad of interns
- Repeatedly mocked by Americans for saying things like ‘AKG Four One Four’ and ‘crotchet’
Simon Alexander Highfield : Ben Holland Sount Ltd. : Sound Assistant
- Responsible for audio of on-site interviews for the BBC's coverage of the June 2017 general election results.
- Worked on live broadcasts of performances by Emili Sandé, Rick Astley and more.
- Broadcast from amazing venues such as the Royal Albert Hall, London Palladium, Wembley SSE Arena and Twickenham Stadium.
- Assisted the post production sound mixing for Saturday Night Takeaway, Pitch Battle, A League Of Their Own etc.
- Learnt a great deal about the broadcasting and music industries, and made many contacts.
Tom Wood : Peter Gabriel Ltd : Assistant Engineer
- Gained insight into Peter's work and in-depth knowledge of his creative process
- Worked closely with the Real World Studios team and assisted on professional sessions and location recordings
- Learnt a great deal about analogue tape and transferring old stereo and multitrack tapes
- Worked as part of the production team at WOMAD festival twice, including recording the sets on our stage
- Became confident in looking after large amounts of data on HDDs and NAS
William Tenison : Wells Cathedral School : Assistant Technician/ Technical Supervisor
- Promoted, extended contract, now freelancing for them.
- Got to see well over £2k worth of professional concerts and shows for free.
- Youtube: Somebody That I Used To Know - Mike Dawes - Live At Cedars Hall.
- Met/ recorded/ did live sound for Milton Jones, Stuart Lee and Chris Marshal.
- Worked with BBC Radio 3.